Please have a look at our information about washing and reproofing of Brynje Hardshell products.
Brynje Hardshells - Washing and Reproofing
Brynje’s water-repellent outerwear collection is made with membranes that require periodic re-waterproofing in order to maintain optimal performance. Garments can be damaged if washed with harsh chemicals and biological detergents. Gentle washing and diligent aftercare of your hardshell product is essential to maintaining their technical properties and maximising their functional lifespan.
If your garment has an unpleasant odour caused by perspiration or smoke, it will often suffice to give it an airing outside during dry weather. Machine washing consumes a lot of water and energy so consider whether this is necessary or not.
Stains can often be removed with water alone. Use a damp cloth to clean the area of the stain. It is easier to remove fresh stains, as we often know what has caused them. Check over your shell clothing soon after use, as older stains become harder to remove.
- Wash light and dark garments separately.
- Close fasteners such as zips and buttons and loosen any drawstrings.
- Don’t turn garments inside out; this can lead to premature wear and tear on tapes and membranes.
- Use a liquid detergent specially made for coloured fabrics. Eco-labelled wool detergents without enzymes (non-biological) are an excellent option. Avoid chemical detergents (biological) as they can cause damage and discolouration.
- Use half the recommended dose of detergent suggested on the bottle. This will ensure that all detergent gets rinsed out in the course of the washing cycle. Residual detergent impairs the technical properties of shell garments. Check if you have soft or hard water in your area - as a rule, soft water requires less detergent than hard water.
- None Brynje products necessitates the use of fabric softeners. Fabric softener can damage the technical properties of garments and are an unnecessary expense that releases pollutants into the natural water cycle.
- Don’t fill the washing machine beyond half-load. This will give the best washing result and prevent you from having to re-wash. Launder garments at 30 degrees (max 40 degrees) Celsius on the delicate cycle. This will save energy while effectively and gently cleaning your shell garments.
- Do not tumble dry shell garments, leave them to air dry.
- Don’t wring out your garment, instead let it drip-dry on a clothes hanger over a bath, in a shower or another suitable place.
Brynje shell clothing can be re-waterproofed to maintain the performance of the membrane over time. Waterproofing also offers good protection against dirt and stains. There are a variety of waterproofing products on the market. Be sure to read the manufacturer's instructions well before use.
We recommend using Fiber Protector Spray for reproofing of Brynje shell garments.